Cookie Consent by TermsFeed


Mark Drakeford

Trials of selected outdoor events and expansion of extended households to be allowed as Wales eases Coronavirus restrictions further

A limited number of small scale outdoor events are to be trialled in Wales as the country continues to ease its Coronavirus restrictions.

Over the coming weeks, a number of small scale events will be trialled in Wales in order to test their safety and to inform future review processes. Among those events being trialled from next week are a number of live outdoor performances as proposed by Theatr Clwyd, a car rally at Anglesey Circuit and the Welsh Triathlon's closed venue 'Return to Racing' competition at Pembrey Country Park. 

The trials come following similar trials in England and it is understood that the Welsh Government is working closely with the UK Government to monitor the outcomes of such trials.

The trialling of events in Wales comes as part of a set of Coronavirus restrictions being eased in the country. On Friday, First Minister Mark Drakeford announced that indoor visits to care homes will also be allowed from Saturday 29 August, subject to strict controls. 

From this Saturday, August 22, extended households in Wales can expand to include up to four households in an exclusive arrangement - marking the confirmation of plans revealed earlier this month. 

Announcing the changes, First Minister Mark Drakeford said;

“While coronavirus remains effectively suppressed in Wales and cases continue to fall, the situation in the rest of the UK and further afield is still problematic. Coronavirus has not gone away and so, as we move out of lockdown and look to the future, it is important we do this in a careful and cautious way.

Wales has been gradually lifting Coronavirus restrictions over recent months, generally at a slower pace than England. While the above changes to restrictions have been announced, the First Minister has said that the priority for the next 21-day regulation cycle is to see the return of pupils to schools and colleges from 1 September.

Mr Drakeford said;

“The return of pupils is the most significant important activity which will take place in Wales during the next 21 days and most of the headroom we have is being devoted to making this a success.

“It is critical that we get children back into schools in the safest possible way. All children in Wales have had the opportunity to ‘check in, catch up and prepare’ before the summer holidays, and we hope this will stand them in good stead for the changes they are due to encounter in the upcoming months.”

When schools start the new academic year in Wales next month, they are expected to teach pupils through a blended approach, with aspects of face-to-face and remote teaching.

According to the latest Public Health Wales data, 1,589 people are confirmed to have died from COVID-19 in Wales.

 

Follow Us On Social Media!

For the latest top political news, features and content, follow us at @speakerpolitics.

Search