The Welsh Education Minister Kirsty Williams has said “the situation for schools in Wales will not change on June 1st.”
In a message posted to her Twitter account on Thursday, Ms Williams said there had been a lot of speculation about what may or may not be announced regarding schools in England this weekend, but that she would be announcing any decisions made in Wales regarding schools. The Minister said;
“The situation for schools in Wales will not change on 1 June. You have my guarantee that we will give everyone time to plan ahead of a next phase starting.
“Any decision to increase the operation of schools will be communicated well in advance. We are working closely with local authorities to ensure that schools are supported in this preparation work.
“In the meantime, critical workers and those who need to use schools or hubs for your children should continue do so.
“We will continue to be guided by the very latest scientific advice and will only look to have more pupils and staff in schools when it is safe to do so. We will, of course, need to ensure that social distancing requirements can be adhered to.”
It has been announced that the Minister will publish a working document next week setting out more of the thinking and planning for the next steps for education in Wales.
Schools in Wales have been closed since 20 March due to the Coronavius pandemic.
Photo Credit: Welsh Government