Monday, 4 July 2022 – 17:05

Government announces £316 million homelessness prevention grant

The government has announced the creation of a £316 million Homelessness Prevention Fund to help people out of homelessness.

The news comes shortly after October’s announcement of £66 million towards housing rough sleepers over winter, with an additional £25 million being promised earlier this week. The grant will be used to help the homeless and people at risk of losing their homes, with the funds going towards supporting those threatened with eviction, as well as people looking for temporary accommodation or to move into a new home.

£5.8 million of the fund will be allocated specifically to those forced into homelessness by domestic abuse.

According to homelessness charity Crisis, the UK has 200,000 people experiencing core homelessness, and over 2,600 rough sleepers.

Along with the announcement, the government said:

“Since the Homelessness Reduction Act came into force in 2018, over 400,000 households have been successfully prevented from losing their homes or supported into settled accommodation, with rough sleeping levels falling 37% between 2019 and 2020.”

The government plans to invest at least £2 billion over the next three years into reducing homelessness.

Minister for Rough Sleeping and Housing, Eddie Hughes, said of the announcement:

“I have seen first-hand the devastation of those who come face to face with homelessness, and my heart goes out to anyone in this situation.

“The support we are announcing today is going directly to communities that need it most.

“It will help thousands of people across England, with councils able to prevent homelessness before it occurs and put a roof over the heads of those who have lost their homes.”

Skip to content