Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has announced that lockdown restrictions will remain in place in Ireland until at least 5 May.
Speaking in Dublin on Good Friday, Mr Varadkar said: “Every sacrifice that we make is helping to save lives”, adding “What will seem like an inconvenience for some, will be life-saving for others”.
The decision to extend the lockdown measures followed a meeting between the National Public Health Emergency Team and senior government officials. Restrictions had previously been scheduled to finish this Sunday. Mr Varadkar said;
“We’ve been able to shelter, the most vulnerable and protect them. Your sacrifices are making a difference. It slows the spread of the virus considerably. But unfortunately, we have not stopped that spread. We all know people who are suffering and breathing at this time. Too many have died. And sadly more will die and get sick before this is over,” he said, urging people not to become complacent or “lose focus”.
Ireland currently has 6,572 confirmed cases of COVID-19, and 263 people are sadly confirmed to have died after contracting the virus in the country.