UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said he ‘utterly condemns the barbaric terrorist attack’ which took place outside Kabul airport this evening.
Two explosions took place near the airport on Thursday, with suicide bombers believed to have carried out the attack. The blasts took place where US and British forces have been stationed to help with evacuations, and at a nearby hotel.
At least 13 people have been killed according to the Taliban, though other reports have suggested the actual death toll could be over 60, with more injured.
No UK military or UK government casualties have been reported, though multiple US military personnel were killed in the attack, according to the US Pentagon.
There have been warnings in recent days that a terrorist attack could take place in Kabul, and just last night the UK’s FCDO urged Britons to stay away from the airport. Despite the attack, the UK is set to continue its evacuation operation in Afghanistan, it was announced following an emergency meeting.
In a tweet following the attack, Boris Johnson said;
“The threat of terrorist attack is one of the constraints we’ve been operating under, but our evacuation effort continues with over 12,000 extracted so far.”
Labour Leader Sir Keir Starmer said “Our thoughts are with all those killed and wounded, serving personnel supporting the evacuations and all those desperately trying to leave”, adding, “the bravery of the troops at the airport will always outweigh the cowardice of those who wish to harm us.”
The Taliban have said they ‘strongly’ condemn the attack, which they say happened in an area for which US troops are responsible for security.
Several European nations have ended their evacuation operations, though the UK and US are set to continue, with the current deadline on 31 August.